Thursday 21 July 2016

Matthew O. Duncan.

Today, I'd like to welcome Matthew O. Duncan, author of “The Last Flight of the Phoenix” to The Thursday Interview. Before we get started, a quick intro!  

Matthew O. Duncan is an award winning playwright, photographer and writer. He attended Northern Arizona University where he earned degrees in Theater & Psychology, and won his first awards for play writing. Starting his career with the Disney Co. he cut his teeth learning the "ins and outs" of the world’s most successful entertainment company. Moving on to find more challenges and creative freedom he worked for a number of theatres where he wrote plays, performed on stage, directed and then finally became a novelist.


OK - HERE WE GO !!  

No.1 Would you break the law to save a loved one and why?
Yes. Although I respect that laws are in place to protect society as a whole, I would not hesitate to do whatever I had to do to protect my family.

No.2 What is the difference between being alive and truly living?
Being alive is a state of existence, where as truly living is to appreciate the moment. We are born once and die only once, but each moment of life is a new one and is an opportunity for a million options.

No.3 What motivates you to write?
Writing is my opportunity to do all the things I fear I cannot, mold them into perfection and then share them with the world. That sounds verbose, but honestly writing is the first thing that I really love that everyone seems to like.

No.4 Why do humans want children?
I have two boys. The process of raising them, teaching them and wanting only the best for them makes me feel as though I have a better understanding of the meaning of life and why we are here.

No.5 What was the biggest challenge in creating your book “The Last Flight of the Phoenix” ?
Meeting the quality of the first book. So many people loved the first book and were so excited for a sequel that I feared I would not live up to their expectations. That’s why it took me two years and two editors, to finish it. So far I’m getting positive feedback.

No.6 What is the most important thing you have learned so far?
Never give up on your dreams. When things were going bad for my family, I was out of work, bill were piling up and we were at risk of losing our house, my wife encouraged me to go back to writing saying “No matter how bad things get, I never want you to give up on your dreams.”

No.7 How did you come up with the title “The Last Flight of the Phoenix” ?
The Starship T.S.S. Phoenix was introduced in the first book, The Warrior’s Stone, but was lost half way through the story. I wanted to know what happened to it, so the sequel tells that story, among others. So to me the title was a given.

No.8 How do you handle personal criticism?
I have a problem with it. I can deal with constructive criticism, but I don’t deal well with personal attracts. When it happens I remove myself from the source (turn off the computer, hang-up or leave the room.) It ends the discussion, but it takes me hours or days before I focus on writing again.

No.9 Why should people read your book?
If you like vulgar language, graphic sex and violence or extreme opinions, this book is not for you. However if you like character driven stories in a futuristic setting with elements of sci-fi and fantasy, than I believe you with enjoy this work. You can find some detailed reviews about the first book The Warrior’s Stone on Amazon.

No.10 Why is there something rather than nothing?
Is what we imagine any less real that the object in the room? I say no. What we dream in our minds, think in our heads and believe in our hearts have more meaning, and therefore more reality, than any object we can see with our eyes or touch with our hands. That is why we are here; to know that there is something and to acknowledge that the universe exists.


Thank you Matthew  :)
For taking the time to answer my questions 
& the best of luck with your new book! 
Check out “The Last Flight of the Phoenix” on



The war was over except for the crew of the T.S.S. Phoenix. Lost deep in enemy space, crippled, but not dead. The odds of survival were stacked against them, but they were still determined to fight their way back towards allied space.

On New Terra, Roy O’Hara had discovered peace for his spirit and joy in a simple life. Yet he had only fulfilled a portion of the Commander’s Prophecy. It told of a darkness that would fall on his new home from the stars and he would be called upon once again to save them all.

The Alliance turned a blind eye to the sudden growth of the Sa’larie Empire just beyond their borders, but some in the intelligent community could see the clues of a new threat. A covert team is sent to discover the truth of the alien’s goals and they discover much more than they could have ever imagined.

Different paths of unlikely allies and new foes will intersect in the skies and on the ground of New Terra once again, where everything will change and destinies will collide.


.

1 comment: