Thursday 8 August 2013

William Meikle's "The Hole"



Today I'd like welcome William Meikle, author of "The Hole" to the Thursday interview. Before we get started, a quick intro!

 

I'm a Scottish writer with fifteen novels published in the genre press and over 250 short story credits in thirteen countries, the author of the ongoing Midnight Eye series among others. My work has appeared in a number of professional anthologies. I have also three shorts produced from my scripts, and several supernatural scripts currently on option, including four shorts, and a supernatural thriller feature.
 



Ok, here we go


No.1 Would you break the law to save a loved one? .. why?
If need be, yes. Loved one and family are what is important The law is an artificial construct imposed on us to save us from problems. But if it's not doing its job in a specific case then it would have to be broken. People are more important than abstracts.
 
No.2 What is the difference between being alive and truly living?
It's like the difference between being sober or drunk, happy or sad. For me it's maintaining a sense of childlike wonder at everything around me. But if you have to ask, then you're not truly living.
 
No.3 What motivates you to write?
For me it's mainly inspiration. I wouldn't write at all if the ideas didn't present themselves in my head. I find I get a lot of ideas clamoring for attention all at once. I write them down in a notebook that never leaves my side, and sometimes one of them gathers a bit more depth, and I get a clearer image. At this stage I find myself thinking about it almost constantly, until a plot, or an ending, clarifies itself. Once I've written down where the story should be going it quietens down a bit. Then, if I find myself still thinking about it a couple of days later, I'll probably start writing the actual story. At any given time I have about 20 ideas waiting for clarity, two or three of which might end up as finished works.
That's the inspiration part. And that continues when I start putting the words on paper. I've tried writing outlines, both for short stories and novels, but I've never stuck to one yet. My fingers get a direct line to the muse and I continually find myself being surprised at the outcome. Thanks to South Park, I call them my "Oh shit, I've killed Kenny" moments, and when they happen, I know I'm doing the right thing. There is also a certain amount of perspiration, especially in writing a novel. But I find if it feels too much like work, I'm heading in the wrong direction and it usually ends up in the recycle bin.
And, yes, there's a certain degree of desperation in that I want to get better, to make the big sale, to see my name in lights, all that happy stuff. But I try not to think about that too much.
 
 
 
No.4 Why do humans want children?
I have no idea. I don't have any myself and never felt the urge. I think its about love, about helping a new life into the world and helping them into becoming a person in their own right. That, and a certain amount of fear that without a child there'll be nothing of you left once you die. But I could be wrong.
 
No.5 What was the biggest challenge in creating your book "The Hole" ?
The Hole is set in small town USA. As a Scot that in itself is a challenge - although small towns are much the same all over. It's the language that proves the most difficult - rhythms of speech are completely different in the USA. Getting to the core of people in the writing is made a bit more difficult. But people are also people, much the same all over, and I think I've caught the flavor of these ones just right in this book.
 
No.6 What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far?
Everybody needs somebody to love.
 
No.7 How did you come up with the title "The Hole." ?
It's about a hole. A big one
 
No.8 How do you handle personal criticism?
It's water off a duck's back. I've been at this long enough to know that not everybody likes my style. I can live with it, when it comes from the heart and is constructive. On the other hand, if it's done purely to be vindictive, then that's another matter and the red rage comes down. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.
 
No.9 Why should people read your book?
Because it's full of awesome. It starts with a hum that brings headaches and nosebleeds to the inhabitants of a sleepy country town. Then the sinkhole starts to form.
Out of the hole come their worst nightmares. A group of survivors descend into the collapsed area, trying to survive, facing their worst fears, and looking for a way to save what is left of their town.
Sacrifices have to be made. But will they be enough?
 
No.10 Why is there something rather than nothing?
Existence is our opportunity to create meaning; by our actions and how we manage our way through the short part of infinity we're given to operate in. And once our life is finished, our atoms go back to forming other interesting configurations with those of other people, animals, plants and anything else that happens to be around, as we all roll along in one big, happy, ever dancing, cosmos. We are all servants to the dance.
 
 




Thanks William for taking the time to answer my questions & the best of luck with your new book!
 
 

Check out his new book "The Hole" on
 

 
 
 
It starts with an odd hum that brings headaches and nosebleeds to the inhabitants of a remote, sleepy country town. Then a sinkhole begins to form…and out from that hole comes the townspeople's worst nightmares.

Facing their fears and the growing madness, a group of survivors descend into the collapsed area in an attempt to save what is left of their town. Sacrifices will be required, but will they be enough?

The hole is growing…spreading…and the horror within it is growing stronger…


 

For full details see my website at http://www.williammeikle.com

 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment