Thursday 27 June 2013

Danielle Singleton's "Do No Harm"

 
 
Today I'd like welcome Danielle Singleton, author of "Do No Harm" to the Thursday interview. Before we get started, intro please!!
 
 
 
 
Much to my family’s amusement (and/or dismay), I’ve been telling stories ever since I learned to talk. One day, when I was only four years old, I managed to convince an entire hospital waiting room full of people that I was adopted (not true!). I was the classic overachiever for the first twenty-five years of my life, complete with earning highest honors in school, graduating magna cum laude from university, and even managing to graduate from Harvard Law School. At the tender age of twenty-five, I had a "quarter-life crisis" and realized that what I really wanted to do with my life was what I had been doing all along: tell stories! I’ve now published two books, and when not writing I coach a girls’ lacrosse team. I’m also a licensed attorney.
 
 
 
Ok - lets go!
 
 

No.1 Would you break the law to save a loved one? .. why?
1. Yes. It’s hard to not give a "legalese" answer to this question since my mind automatically jumps to things like justification defenses in criminal law! But yes, I’d break the law to save a loved one and take my chances in the courts after the fact.
 
 
No.2 What is the difference between being alive and truly living?
2. Truly living is certainly better than merely being alive. For me, the difference is in appreciating the little things. Beauty and happiness are all around us - we just have to take the time to look.
 

No.3 What motivates you to write?
3. It’s fun! (Uh oh, 30 word minimum per answer...I better say something else!) I have a hyperactive imagination. If I don’t write every day, I have really crazy dreams at night. So I write because it’s fun but I also write to help make sure I get a decent night’s sleep!
 
 
No.4 Why do humans want children?
4. I think a lot of it has to do with biology. We’re genetically programmed to want to continue the species and all that. But I think it’s also a way to get a bit of a "do over" in life. Parenthood done correctly, I think, gives kids a chance at a better life than their parents had.
 
 
No.5 What was the biggest challenge in creating your book?
5. I try to get inside the heads of my characters as much as possible and really see the story from their perspective, and it was hard to do so in "Do No Harm" because one of the main characters is a nut job. Well, not so much a nut job as he is evil. It was difficult to try to understand the mindset of an evil murderer.
 
 
No.6 What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far?
6. Kind of related to question #4, the most important thing I’ve learned in life is that there is no "do over." We only get to live each year, each day, each moment one time. So we have to make the most of it!
 
 
No.7 How did you come up with the title "Do No Harm"?
7. Unfortunately there isn’t any great story behind the title "Do No Harm." I was in the car with my mom on our way to a family Christmas gathering and mentioned something about having difficulty thinking of a title. I threw out a couple of ideas that I had and my mom jumped on "Do No Harm." I also liked it because it’s three words, and the title of my first book is also three words ("Safe & Sound").
 
 
No.8 How do you handle personal criticism?
8. Personal criticism or book criticism? At times they seem different, and then at other times the same. Obviously I’m not happy when people criticize me (or my work). I’m nothing if not a perfectionist! After a few minutes of steam coming out of my ears, I usually calm down and try to see what I can learn from the criticism.
 
 
No.9 Why should people read your book?
9. It’s good! No, seriously, it is! "Do No Harm" is enough of a thriller to keep readers on the edge of their seats, but it’s not gory. It’s also long enough to be a complete story but not so long that you can’t finish it within a day or two if you want to.
 
 
No.10 Why is there something rather than nothing?
10. During my law school orientation, the Dean told us that the answer to every question in law and in life is "it depends." So why is there something rather than nothing? It depends.
 
 
 
 
 
Thanks Danielle for taking the time to answer my questions & the best of luck with your new book!
 

Check out her new book "Do No Harm" on
 
 
 
What would happen if America's blood supply were no longer safe? If a domestic terrorist decided to hijack the tens of thousands of blood transfusions that occur daily in the United States, spreading an illness that killed everyone it touched?
Set in the modern-day United States, "Do No Harm" tells the story of a doctor, Joseph, who violates his oath to never do harm to anyone by going on a killing spree. Fighting against Joseph's virus is a team of pathology experts and an intrepid young FBI agent. Without getting bogged down in too many complex medical details, "Do No Harm" gives readers a thrilling look at what could happen if one of America's most trusted medical foundations - its blood supply - was suddenly no longer secure.
 
 
 
 
 
.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment