Thursday 6 August 2015

Joe DiBuduo.

Today I'd like to welcome Joe DiBuduo, author of “Cryonic Man” to The Thursday Interview. Before we get started, a quick intro! 

Like the hero of Cryonic Man, author Joe DiBuduo grew up in Hano, one of the toughest neighborhoods in Boston. He became a writer and an artist, not a prizefighter, but in his rough-and-tumble youth, he never turned away from a street fight. His memoir, Crime A Day: Death by Electric Chair & Other Boyhood Pursuits will be published in Fall 2015 by Jaded Ibis Productions. DiBuduo is also the author of A Penis Manologue: One Man’s Response to The Vagina Monologues, collections of flash fiction and “poetic flash fiction,” and a children's storybook. He also has poetry and fiction for children and adults published in online journals and in print anthologies, and a second novel in progress.


OK - HERE WE GO !!  


No.1  Would you break the law to save a loved one? .. why?

The question is ambiguous. I’d have to know what I’m saving the loved one from and what law I’d have to break to do it. Normally a loved one would always be more important to me than any law, but if the punishment wasn’t minor and breaking a serious law, like a felony, may not be worth it.

No.2  What is the difference between being alive and truly living?

Being positive about life makes living great, and doing things I love, such as hiking, kayaking, being outdoors, and some risk-taking activities to get my adrenaline flowing makes me feel like I’m living a good life, unlike those who come home from work and watch TV before getting up the next day to do it all over again. 

No.3  What motivates you to write?

I wrote a story for my daughter about homosexuals when I was 66. I researched the subject and had my lifelong beliefs turned upside down. I totally changed my negative opinion of homosexuality. The research intrigued me so much that I decided to become a writer so I’d have a reason to do research. Every novel or short story I write now causes me to research subjects I never would have otherwise. 

No.4  Why do humans want children?

The question is a bit misleading. Today there are many men and women who don’t want children. Those that do may have inherited the desire from their parents. Not long ago a person’s survival in old age meant having family to care for them. That has changed and children no longer take care of their parents (in the USA, anyway.) I believe it’s like asking why some people want dogs and others don’t. But I have to admit, babies are so darn cute, when I see one, I usually wish I could have one. That alone could be the reason people want kids. Nature instills desire for children into most humans. 

No.5  What was the biggest challenge in creating your book 'Cryonic Man' ?

Trying to create a story showing how a man would feel with a woman controlling his body. Then in having the man fall in love with the woman who inhabited his body, it was difficult to show how his feelings changed from hatred to desire for her. 

No.6  What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far?

I’ve learned that the quality of one’s life depends on a person’s perception of the world. If a person is pessimistic and sees all the bad things life has dealt them, they are unhappy. On the other hand, a person who is optimistic will see the good things in life and by doing so will be much happier. 

No.7  How did you come up with the title 'Cryonic Man' ?

Cryonics was an interest of mine and after researching the procedure, I began to wonder what it would be like for a person to come back to life after spending years in cryonic preservation. Jim Jackson, the protagonist in Cryonic Man, was cryonically frozen for fifty years and is the first person ever to be revived, so I thought Cryonic Man a fitting name. 

No.8  How do you handle personal criticism?

I believe everyone has an opinion, some right, some wrong, so when someone criticizes me, I figure they must be one of those who have wrong opinions! And those who praise me, of course, have the right opinion.

No.9  Why should people read your book?

The story contains actual historical facts. The antagonist, Countess Erzsébet Báthory, is known as “The most evil woman who ever lived.” She allegedly killed over 600 girls and bathed in their blood to maintain her beauty. The story line is an exciting romance unlike any I’ve ever read. 

No.10  Why is there something rather than nothing?

Philosophers have been asking this question for years. There is no conclusive answer, but my opinion is that there’s something because if there wasn’t, who would or could read my books? Actually I believe there’s something only because we perceive existing. If we didn’t, there’d be nothing.


Thank you Joe  :)
For taking the time to answer my questions 
& the best of luck with your new book! 

Check out 'Cryonic Man' on


Bostonian Jim Jackson is just one fight away from winning the 1976 World Heavyweight Championship when he is diagnosed with a fatal brain tumor and seeks relief in a radical medical procedure. But the happy scientific ending goes awry when Jackson regains consciousness to find he shares body and mind with “Blood Countess” Erzsébet Báthory.

No comments:

Post a Comment