Thursday 19 February 2015

Debbie Manber Kupfer.



I'd like to welcome Debbie Manber Kupfer
Author of  "Argentum" to The Thursday Interview.
 Before we get started, a quick intro!

Debbie Manber Kupfer grew up in London and lived in Israel, before somehow ended up in St. Louis, where she works as a puzzle constructor and writer. She lives with her husband, two children, and a very opinionated feline. She is the author of P.A.W.S and Argentum and has short stories in several anthologies including Fauxpocalypse, Shades of Fear, Darkly Never After, Sins of the Past, and Heroes & Villains. She also created the puzzle book, Paws 4 Logic together with her son, Joey. She believes that with enough tea and dark chocolate you can achieve anything!



OK - HERE WE GO !!  


No.1 Would you break the law to save a loved one? .. why?

Of course. In this situation I believe it would be wrong to abide by the law. The law after all is only made by humans and humans make mistakes. My family comes first. 

No.2 What is the difference between being alive and truly living?

Being alive is just going through the motions. Living your life day-to-day and always making the safe choices. Truly living is taking chances, following your dreams. Challenging yourself to push further and experience more. 

No.3 What motivates you to write?

Anything and everything. I see stories all around me. I love to people watch in café's and imagine the lives of strangers and those strangers often end up in my books.

No.4 Why do humans want children?

Well obviously to carry on the human race, but also to impart their knowledge onto the next generation. To share their dreams and goals, and look at the world through the eyes of their children. My life fundamentally changed the day my daughter was born – the focus of my world shifted, so that forever more it’s no longer just about me. 

No.5 What was the biggest challenge in creating your book "Argentum" ?

Continuity. Argentum is part 2 of my series. When I wrote part 1, P.A.W.S. I had only the most basic of outlines and let the story take me where it will. I realized pretty early on with Argentum that writing a sequel is not the same as writing the original book. I had to take a step back and make a detailed timeline, family tree and character list, to make sure everything matched up. This is particularly important in a work like mine which includes several characters who have been around for centuries. 

No.6 What is the most important thing you have learned in life so far?

I am a breast cancer survivor. I have always wanted to write a book, but before I had cancer I always felt I had all the time in world to make that happen. Cancer taught me that if you really want to do something, you need to do it now, because you never know if they’ll be a later.

No.7 How did you come up with the title "Argentum" ?

Argentum is the Latin for silver and in the world P.A.W.S. silver is the thread that binds all magic. The shapeshifters like Miri have silver charms in which their power resides. The magicians use wands of silver and silver scrying bowls to weave their spells. 

No.8 How do you handle personal criticism?

If it’s constructive I listen to it and hope to grow from it. If it’s mean-spirited I try to ignore it. The one thing I never do is talk back to a critic, that’s a sure way to get yourself a bad reputation as an author. 

No.9 Why should people read your books?

Because I have something for everyone! If you like fantasy, then you’ll probably enjoy P.A.W.S. and Argentum. If you like puzzles, you can pick up my new puzzle book, Paws 4 Logic, that I created together with my son Joey. If you like other genres, you’ll probably find something to your liking in one of the many anthologies I'm part of. 

No.10 Why is there something rather than nothing?

Not a clue. The world is here. It’s filled with terrible and wonderful things. It is our duty as human beings to make the most of it. To explore, experience and share our talents and our dreams.

 Thanks Debbie for taking the time to answer my questions & the best of luck with your new book!

Check out  "Argentum" on

The death of Alistair has brought a measure of peace and calm to those at P.A.W.S., but his silver charm remains in Miri’s possession and it seems to almost have a life of its own. Nightmares and questions torment Miri until the charm mysteriously disappears and Jessamyn seeks help from Quentin, who claims to have repented his past association with Alistair. But can he be trusted? And what of Jenna, a young girl once held captive by Alistair who carries a terrible secret—a secret that could determine the future of P.A.W.S.




.

No comments:

Post a Comment